Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Thrill Of Experimenting With Less!

I've been reading minimalism lifestyle blogs for several months now. Slowly I've been going through my belongings and bringing car and TRUCK loads of stuff to Goodwill. Now I'm working on diving in deeper.

Experiment - Less Inauthentic Interactions

I love people. I love you! Yes... even YOU!! So it should come as no surprise that over the last seven years since I first started to use Facebook I have have struggled with an addiction to it.

I first started to use Facebook while I was living in South Korea. I used it to stay in contact with friends and family, and to play this addicting little farm game because I really missed having my own dirt to dig in. My mom and I played the game together, and we would visit each other's farms while chatting online. I would watch as my mother's avatar walked around my farm... I'd walk my avatar up to hers and type that I was waving. Now this all seems really sad and pathetic. But I missed my family, and this was one of the few ways I had to connect with them while living abroad.

When I moved back home and into my parents' house I immediately dug up a large portion of their backyard and planted my first farm! I was so proud of that farm :)
I used to have really long hair!

I got through jet lag with early morning runs and late night Facebook binging. Now I had a lot of friends in South Korea I needed to maintain contact with. A few months after moving back home I started playing roller derby and my friend list exploded! I had all of these new friends that I knew nothing about and Facebook was my line-in to their worlds. I could browse their photos, ruminate on their words and analyze their "likes."

Now my addiction was set.

Spending two hours a day, or more, was completely reasonable... I might miss someone's birthday. I might miss that cute video of their kid that everyone will be talking about tomorrow. I might miss the photo of their brunch. I might miss their angry rant about evil co-workers, always a good opportunity to commiserate and bond. I might miss a new friend, or a message! Could you imagine if one of my "friends" had to wait for a response? I mean, it's not like they could call me or anything... they don't have my number... we're not friends like THAT.

I've tried to stay away for a week or two, or a month even... Then I started blogging and used the blog as an excuse to log on to the Face... I  mean, who will read this if I don't share it with my "friends?"

I've learned one very important thing from my short Facebook vacations. I am happier when I do not check Facebook.

I know that my experience is not everyone's experience... But for me, Facebook often showcases the things I don't have. I see gatherings I wasn't invited to. New toys I can't afford. Pictures of food at restaurants I can't afford to visit. Achievements my friends have made, that I have not.

I know this is not the fault of Facebook, or my friends. I know that it is because I struggle with accepting that I am enough. Most people are surprised to know that about me. But it's the truth. And it's something I am not going to mess around with any more.

Like an alcoholic needs to put limits on their exposure to bars, I to need to put limits on inauthentic interactions with the people I love. Instead I will meet you and I will hear you. I will spend time with you in a room. And everything else is a distraction.

I have some other experiments I am working on this month:
- Minimalist wardrobe and laundry
- Simplify group meetings
- Email minimalism
- Kitchen declutter
- Shopping minimalism (just once a month, except for fresh food)

And I plan to write about each of these as I experience them. Calling it an experiment makes it easy to change my world... because I'm telling myself it isn't permanent. If at some point in the experiment I decide that this isn't for me, I can just change it to something else. It's much more forgiving, and makes the first step towards being the change less of a hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment