Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Greed vs. Altruism

I've been thinking a lot about greed lately. About people who have so much yet refuse to help those who have so little.

Honestly, I'm not even talking about the super, ultra rich. Most of my life I have made the kind of salary that affords me an almost-middle class life, so I don't have the knowledge base to begin to understand the ultra rich and why they do what they do.

I'm talking about you and me. Normal, everyday people. Many of us are just doing what we can to pay the bills and keep a roof over our heads. We often feel we can't share what we have... that without the little extra in our pocketbook we will suffer some horrible fate.

I think our greed comes from the "what ifs."

What if I lose my job?
What if I lose my house/car?
What if we break up?
What if my kid gets sick?
What if I get sick?
What if social security runs out?
What if my rent goes up?
What if I have to go back to school?
What if....


According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs safety is a basic human need. A need so basic that growth can falter if it isn't present. I have food, and I'm healthy... and right now I feel safe... but we humans have the gift a precognition (whether our prognostications are accurate or not is another debate entirely.) Perhaps that is where all of our, "What if?" quandaries come from.

And these types of worries makes me wonder, why do our personal prophecies envision such a bleak future?

Because we don't feel safe.

Well, why don't we feel safe?

Sigh. It's so easy to point fingers now. To blame government, criminals, international discord, history, human nature, religion, war, anger, hate...

But it seems the most important finger is pointed right back at us.

If I won't share to help someone... then why would someone else share to help me? The cycle of fear continues. Fear of the unknown. Fear that kindness will not come my way. Fear that if I can't make it on my own... then I won't make it... I'll fail... and I can't FAIL! Therefore, I can't help.

Why is the finger pointed at us the most important finger? Because it is the only finger you can do anything about. AND, once we change ourselves, everything else will change too.
(Although this may not be a true Gandhi... it fits him well. And gives me hope and direction.)

I wrote this post due to a fight with my family over our differing views about helping the refugee children at the Mexico boarder. I believe that we all can and should help. Even small donations are better than none. And even a few hours of volunteer work are better than none.

Unfortunately, some of my family members felt that helping these kids would only bring hardships upon us. However, I'm with Gandhi and believe that, "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." And, in this global society, we are all one nation, one people... we all depend on each other. We are are all stronger together.

Together we can do anything. 

I have faith in us. 

I have faith that my family is just on a longer path to compassionate living than others. 

I have faith that I will learn how to discuss sensitive issues without anger.

I have faith that our future is bright... 

What if we work together, and it all works out?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment